In 1989, the NYC Correction Guardians' published a 50th anniversary souvenir journal. Thanks to their past president and jubilee journal committee chairman, Prof. Errol D. Toulon, the New York Correction History Society has been able to extract image and text excerpts to mount this 10-part web presentation. This is Part III. Images and text below are from Pages 7, 8,9, & 10.
Reduced image of cover of souvenir journal for NYC Correction Guardian Association's 50th anniversary in 1989.
|Click image below to enlarge Harrison-Thomas section. Use browser to expand view and use 'back' button to return.|
JAMES A. THOMAS (right) and JAMES C. HARRISON (fourth from right) were sworn in as Civil Service Wardens on April 29th, 1969.
HON. DAVID DINKINS
Manhattan Borough President
1989 DEMOCRATIC MAYORAL CANDIDATE
“The Only Choice”
The Hon. David Dinkins receiving the Correction Guardians Associations’ “MAN OF _
THE YEAR” Award at their Annual Scholarship Dinner Dance. (from left to right) ERROL
D. TOULON, AL ALI-RAHMAN, HON. DAVID DINKINS, and GUY MARTIN.
Webmaster note: Nurse-like uniforms and presence of Ms. Jesse Behagen indicate the group photographed was from the Women's House of Detention in Greenwich Village.
(From Left to Right)
First Row: 1 ____, 2 Miriam Murphy, 3 ____, 4 May Kregoff, 5 Vickie Harvey, 6 Goosby, 7 Alice Cook.
Second Row: 1 ____, 2 Rosemary Dun, 3 Jane Purjersky, 4 ____, 5 Ms. Moran, 6 Ms. BeHagen, 7 ____, 8 _____, 9 _____.
Third Row: 1 Marion Gray, 2 ___, 3 ___, 4 ___, 5 Agie Keye, 6 Gloria Lee, 7 Carter, 8 A. Hope, 9 Singleton, 10 Archibald, 11 Julia Reid, 12 Barrow, 13 Alice Weafer, 14 ___, 15 Jean Fritz, 16 ____.
Webmaster note: In the top photo, banner of the Correctionaires, the Guardians' ancester/predecessor, cites their 1939 founding. Click image to enlarge banner section. Use browser to expand view and use 'back' button to return
This page is Part III of New York Correction History Society's web presentation of excerpts it extracted from the NYC Correction Guardians' 50th anniversary souvenir journal published in 1989. Links to all 10 Parts are listed below:
- Part I -- Opening message, president's welcome greeting, journal committee salute.
- Part II -- Past Commissioners, deputies, et al; history; salutes to Kevelier, Inham.
- Part III -- History photos: Harrison & Thomas, Correctionaires, early Guardians.
- Part IV -- 19 captioned 'Memories of the Past' photos including one of Warden Vernon C. Bain.
- Part V -- 35 uncaptioned 'Memories of the Past' photos: outings, celebrations, ceremonies.
- Part VI -- 40 uncaptioned 'Memories of the Past' photos: outings, celebrations, ceremonies.
- Part VII -- 25 uncaptioned 'Memories of the Past' photos: outings, celebrations, ceremonies.
- Part VIII -- Hundreds of journal's individual sponsor names grouped by facility.
- Part IX -- 60+ names of deceased members listed by Correction Captains Association.
- Part X -- Sampling of full, half and quarter-page congratulatory "ads." Poem.