Over a span of nearly 175 years, the NYC Dept. of Correction has been associated with an Island in the East River having a succession of first names: Blackwell's, Welfare and currently Roosevelt.
The island was acquired by the city in 1828 to erect a penitentiary as well as health-related facilities. Today, the municipal jail agency maintains a small unit on the island for terminally-ill inmates.
Moving in 17 pages from the old lab at the south end to the lighthouse on the northern tip, the virtual tour presented here focuses on contemporary sights and their historical background.
The Roosevelt Island Historical Walk was planned, researched, and written by Eagle Scout candidate Neil Tandon under Boy Scout Troop 59, Roosevelt Island, auspices.
The Walk was created for the benefit of the Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS), the people of Roosevelt Island and those visiting it. Complete funding for the project was provided by NYS Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC).
NYCHS is honored RIHS chose www.correctionhistory.org as the site for sharing Roosevelt Island Historical Walk on the web.