By Charles H. HaswellActive in NY's civic and cultural life a half-century, Haswell's meticulous notes on it were published in 1896, the same year Correction emerged as a separate agency. A century later Jackson Era devotee Hal Morris posted them on his Tales of the Early Republic web site, from where these passages have been excerpted with permission.
Chapter VIII: 1825 - William Paulding, Philip Hone, Mayors
The site of these buildings and the surrounding area, in 1807, extended to Thirtyfourth Street on the north, Third Avenue on the east, and Seventh Avenue on the west; it was reduced in 1814 to the limits of Thirtyfirst Street, Fourth and Sixth avenues, and designated as Madison Square. About 1844 a further reduction was made to the present limits of Madison Square-Madison and Fifth avenues, Twentythird and Twentysixth streets. The original design was that of a great military parade ground.
In this year Chambers Street was extended from Cross (now
City Hall Place) to Chatham Street; the name of Hester Street, from Centre
to Broadway, was changed to Howard Street; the Merchants' Exchange building
was begun; a new building for the Savings Bank lately known as the Bleecker
Street was erected in Chambers Street. An extensive fire occurred in Spring, Sullivan, and Thompson streets. The city was divided into twelve wards. Illuminating gas was coming more and more into general use, and the wooden lampposts were being replaced by those of iron. Gaspipes were now first laid in Broadway from the Battery to Canal Street. . . .
Mr. Daniel R. Lambert, on the night of the 3d of June,
in company with some friends, was returning from a visit to a friend (Lyde) who resided on or near Broadway and Tenth Street, a location so strictly
suburban that it partook of the character of the country. About 1 A.M.
he was offensively addressed by a party of young men, and upon retaliation
and defence being essayed, Mr. Lambert was killed by a blow in his stomach.
The young men were subsequently tried and convicted of manslaughter. . . . .
At this time it was suggested, the project being favorably
considered by many, that it would be practicable and advisable to open
and extend Canal Street, as a canal or strait, from river to river. The
public pound then was in the Park grounds and near to the City Hall. . . .
December 23 the name of Slote Lane was changed to Exchange
Place. On the 31st the thermometer marked 27 degrees below zero. . . .
The prototype of the present steel pens was made of silver; the sale, however, was very restricted, in face of attachment to the established quill; the everpointed pencil also made its first appearance in this year. . . . .
It is worth noting that the social status of Negroes,
at that period and for many years afterward, was very different from that
of the present time. Negroes were not admitted in street stages, in the
cabins of steamboats, theatres, or places of amusement; and in churches
only in pews at the foot of the aisles which were assigned to them. Later,
when street railways were put in operation, the Sixth Avenue line designated some of its cars by painting conspicuously on the sides, "Colored Persons allowed in this Car.". . . . .
New York Dispensary, organized 1790, incorporated 1798. Having omitted any previous notice of this institution, I avail myself of a recollection of a visit to it in company with one of its physicians. It was and is located in Centre, corner of White Street. The district of its operation is bounded by the North River, a line through Spring Street, Broadway to Fourteenth Street, thence to and down First Avenue to Allen and Pike streets and the East River. Its object is the furnishing of free medical, surgical, and dental aid, vaccination, and the visiting of deserving sick in their homes when necessary. . . .