Above: Plaque to right of the east sally port entrance reads:
This important example of military architecture is a dramatic reminder of the early defenses erected in New York Harbor to protect the City from invasion by sea. Like so many other fortifications in this country, its star-shaped plan was inspired by the designs of Sebastien de Vauban, the great French military architect. The fort was completed in 1798, and named after John Jay, then Secretary of Foreign Affairs. Strengthened in 1806-1808, the massive walls, bristling with 100 guns, helped to deter the British from attacking the City in the War of 1812. Today it is under the jurisdiction of the United States Coast Guard. Plaque provided by the New York Community Trust, 1975.
Various other Fort Jay views #9 --

66th of 74 views in NYCHS Governors Island prison history virtual tour.

To Next View

To Previous View

To Another NYC Isle's Prisons: Fort Jay, Castle Williams

home page

© Copyright 2006 New York Correction History Society. Images & text. Non-commerical educational use with source credit permitted.

3 views, begin
Page 01
En route:
5 views, begin
Page 04
3 views, begin
Page 09
Building 140:
5 views, begin
Page 12
Castle Wms:
4 views, begin
Page 17
Prison yard:
6 views, begin
Page 21
Sprial stairs:
4 views, begin
Page 27
Tiers, cells:
7 views, begin
Page 31
From roof:
4 views, begin
Page 38
Castle cannon:
5 views, begin
Page 42
Fort moat:
8 views, begin
Page 47
Fort cannon:
3 views, begin
Page 55
More fort:
9 views, begin
Page 58
8 return views:
ferry: Page 67,
terminal: P. 71