Above: Plaque to left of the east sally port entrance reads:
In keeping with the American tradition that men will defend freedom with both ideas and arms, this plaque is presented to Fort Jay by the Association of the Alumni of Columbia College to memorialize the fact that in 1794, students and faculty of Columbia worked with shovel and barrows to erect this fort, named after John Jay, Columbia class of 1764, whose life exemplified the best traditions of free men. Erected May 13, 1922.
Various other Fort Jay views #8 --

65th of 74 views in NYCHS Governors Island prison history virtual tour.

To Next View

To Previous View

To Another NYC Isle's Prisons: Fort Jay, Castle Williams

home page

© Copyright 2006 New York Correction History Society. Images & text. Non-commerical educational use with source credit permitted.

3 views, begin
Page 01
En route:
5 views, begin
Page 04
3 views, begin
Page 09
Building 140:
5 views, begin
Page 12
Castle Wms:
4 views, begin
Page 17
Prison yard:
6 views, begin
Page 21
Sprial stairs:
4 views, begin
Page 27
Tiers, cells:
7 views, begin
Page 31
From roof:
4 views, begin
Page 38
Castle cannon:
5 views, begin
Page 42
Fort moat:
8 views, begin
Page 47
Fort cannon:
3 views, begin
Page 55
More fort:
9 views, begin
Page 58
8 return views:
ferry: Page 67,
terminal: P. 71