built in 1933, was named James A. Thomas Center in 1989 for man credited as
Dept.’s 1st Black warden. He served a decade as its warden from 1965. He had
been tank sgt. in WWII, joined DOC in ’46 and retired after 30 years service.
Because he got a provisional appointment as warden 3 years before James C.
Harrelson’s provis- ional appointment, JAT is called ‘1st.’
|Warden Thomas and JATC
images are NYC Dept. of Correction (NYC DOC) photos in the archives managed
by the NY Correction History Society. All rights retained by and reserved to